TO HELP US RECORD YOUR DOCUMENTS FASTER AND MORE EFFICIENTLY, WE RECOMMEND THAT
YOU FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES:
1. Mail all documents to "PO Box 14, New Hampton, Iowa, 50659".
2. Clearly indicate where the recorded documents are to be returned. A
self-addressed stamped envelope is always appreciated.
3. All documents must be legible and reproducible. This may be a
judgement made by each recording office; however, faxed documents are usually
not acceptable. Type should be large enough and dark enough to obtain a good
copy. Illegible documents will be returned unrecorded.
4. A minimum of 3" of space is required at the top of all documents.
Immediately below this space must be typed the name, address, and telephone
number of the individual who prepared the document. EFFECTIVE 1/1/1996.
5. Effective January 1, 2000, each document of conveyance, including a
change of title, must contain the statement: "Address Tax Statement to: (An
appropriate name and mailing address of the taxpayer). This statement must
appear immediately below the preparer's information.
6. Effective January 1, 2002, all notaries public commissioned by the
State of Iowa must use a stamp or
seal with their commission number and the expiration date of their commission.
7. Effective July 1, 2002, the preparer of a document is prohibited from
including an individual's federal
social security number on any document that is to be recorded in the county
8. Check to make sure that you have enclosed the correct recording fee
tax and make all checks payable to "Chickasaw COUNTY RECORDER." If a
Declaration of Value and/or a Groundwater Hazard Form are required, make sure
that they are completed and signed, with phone numbers included. Click here
for the Declaration
of Value Form and Instructions . Click here to download the
Groundwater Hazard Form.
9. If the deed is exempt from transfer tax, the correct exemption
pursuant to Chapter 428A.2 must be typed on the face of the deed.
10. Do not use the legal description found on the tax statement. It is
only an abbreviated description.
11. Make sure that all documents are dated, signed, and sealed (if
required). Type - or print legibly - names under signatures. Only documents
with original signatures will be recorded. Click here to view
Document Formatting Standards Effective July 1, 2009.